Friday, February 22, 2013

Spring Training

            Everyone makes a big deal about counting down to the day pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training.  I prefer the day Spring Training games begin.  It is comforting to know that pitchers and catchers are getting ready, but it’s not much more than that.  I like to listen in and they don’t broadcast bullpen sessions.  For the last four years I have woken up the day Spring Training games start, purchased the MLB At Bat app and waited patiently at work for the Grapefruit League games to start at noon.  The app is $20 a year and it includes the home and away radio broadcasts of most Spring Training games and all regular and post season games.  I love it!  This year I took it a step further and purchased MLB TV.  I am so excited about watching out of market games; especially the Dodgers and Cardinals.      

The sounds of baseball are so calming; especially Spring Training.  There are the usual baseball sounds: the crack of the bat, the crowd noise, the over-zealous umpire that you can hear through the radio broadcast when the background is just quiet enough.  Also, the announcers are generally a little more laid back during Spring Training and that’s just fun.  Jim Powel and Don Sutton with the Braves are great on their own, but I also love when they bring in guest announcers.  Dale Murphy and Mark Lemke are my favorites.
            Until this past summer I worked in public accounting.  There is no better way to breakup a thirteen, fourteen, sometimes fifteen hour, tax return filled day than by listening to a baseball game.  So a typical day for me from late February until early April includes listening to the Braves at noon (when almost all Grapefruit League games start) and sometimes switching over to the Dodgers at 2:00 (when most Cactus League games start).  Even though I will no longer be at the office until all hours of the night, I plan to keep my same Spring Training schedule.  I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!