Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Say it ain't so Chipper

            There is a rumor going around that the Yankees are trying to talk Chipper Jones out of retirement.  I have seen one article, but I'm sure there are more.  I just cannot imagine this.    To say this would be devastating to Braves fans would be an understatement.  Chipper is "our guy".  To have had a franchise player of that caliber means the world to us.  I think it means a great deal to Chipper too.  At least that's the impression I got from all of the interviews I saw last season.  In one interview he went as far to say that he did not know if he would have been a franchise player if he had been with another team.  He loved Atlanta and the area that much.  Plus, I got the impression that he was genuinely ready to retire; he wanted to spend more time with his kids, his knees weren't what they used to be, etc., etc.  I just do not think he would come out of retirement; especially for a team other than the Braves.

            Another thing to factor in is that it would be tacky.  I know that is not a real life concern, but it would.  Every team the Braves visited last season commemorated Chipper's last year.  As did MLB as a whole.  It was THE story for the entire season.  Not to mention the Braves have already scheduled to retire his number this season.  I don't follow the NFL, but even I got tired of the whole Brett Farve situation.  I would hate to see Chipper go out like that  Of course, I guess when it comes to making millions one could look past being tacky. 

            Overall, I think it is a non-issue; Chipper wouldn't do that..........would he?   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!